Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Assessment 16/02/11

For the assessment I had focused mostly on the presentational aspects of my project. I spent the majority of Tuesday afternoon developing 3 high quality, A3 prints of my images onto cartridge paper. I also borrowed a black plinth to present a bunch of bananas on. The prints were then hung against the white wall dividers of studio 20 using small silver nails, chosen so that they wouldn’t stand out too much, therefore detracting from the artwork itself.
 


The images I presented were a series of overlaid compositions which were constructed using 1000 urban photographs each. The compositions conveyed the intense energy within the city landscape and the idea that a corner of the city can tell a thousand stories.
The bananas were used as a symbol for the urbanised decay. The reason for changing from imagery of fruit, to the physical object, is that over time there would be an identifiable change in the fruits’ appearance as it starts to ripen and decompose.
One potential hurdle that I might come across in using this decaying process in a gallery situation is the health and safety aspect, and the attraction of flies ect. Although I have seen food used before for example a transparent box was used to house a bed of bread created by Anthony Gormley in the Tate Liverpool.

The feedback I received from the group was that my images were, in the words of Peter Appleton, “exquisite”, but I need to research box frames for a possible alternative for presentation.
The relevance of the fruit was also taken into question- whether it distracted the focus away from the images, and if using such an organic object as a symbol within a concept about the manmade landscape was appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment