Friday, 20 May 2011

Second Year Overview

This year has seen my art practice develop into a more specialised way of working. Instead of experimenting with paint, film, and photography like I did in 1st year, I have narrowed my practice down to working with digital photography and computer manipulation. I have chosen this route because of my aspirations to be in the graphic design industry. I feel having a fine artist’s outlook on the field would give me an alternative edge when it comes to making it in the industry.
As research into the industry I travelled down to London to visit my Aunt and Uncle who are high up in the profession. We discussed their experiences in the industry, potential routes that I could take after Uni and the possibility of getting work experience. They also took a look at my work and we formed a critique about the direction of my project in response to the feedback from the prior assessment, which gave me a lot of ideas to think about. We also discussed the presentational aspects of my nearing exhibition, where I learnt about the best specs (i.e. DPI, file type, the differences between CMYK and RGB) for my images to ensure that I would get the highest possible quality when printing- which was important if my images contained small and subtle manipulations that would cause people to get up close and inspect.

In regards to my exhibition, I thoroughly enjoyed working as part of our group, and developing the organisational skills and experience of the curatorial process. I feel like my practice and work responded well with the commercial, ’textbook’, white-walls gallery setting, as I have always been interested in making my work as aesthetically pleasing as possible so that it appeals to the more mainstream art field. In hindsight, I probably would have attached a lower price to my prints in order to sell more, however, I did sell one and I have a few more people interested, so I could potentially break even on the printing and framing costs of the work, which would be nice!

By Reuben Barr

My feedback from my final assessment commented on the good technical ability of my work and range of experimentation, however I need to develop my understanding of the purpose and content of the images to gain the higher grades, which I totally agree on as it is the part I have always found the most difficult.
Although the feedback mentions that I should carry on exploring the avenues of this project, I feel that I need to have a change of scenery because I feel that using the same ‘cityscape’ subject matter throughout all 3 years could test my patience. For next year’s project, I have roughly been thinking about exploring the realms of portraiture using the same digital methods but I’m not sure about what the subject matter would be yet. I’m going traveling around Europe in August so hopefully that could give me some inspiration in time for September!       

No comments:

Post a Comment