The Freelancing conference held at the Art and Design Academy succeeded in making me think about my future and how I’m going to use the skills and knowledge I will gain from my Fine Art degree.
The ‘10 Top Tips for surviving as a freelance’ talk by Media Modo’s Neil Lewis was very helpful as he caused me to think of my particular skills and how I should sell them. Although I have no intention of being a freelance artist once I finish my degree, I would definitely like to work in creative industry in some sort of field, and this talk inspired me to start focusing on how I can sell myself (or ‘whore myself out‘ as a curator once told me at an exhibition seminar) to future employers.
Once Neil Lewis had motivated the room, we were split into specialisms where we were given a more intimate talk by Liverpool artist, Alex Corina. He was then successful in destroying anyone’s ambitions of becoming a successful freelance fine artist and thus confirming my desire to steer away from that corridor of self employment.
Coming out of this conference, I have a new outlook on my future, and it has influenced me to concentrate on my skills as a photographer and digital artist. This week I have plans to contact some people in the industry and ask for advice and knowledge of possible career options.
The ‘10 Top Tips for surviving as a freelance’ talk by Media Modo’s Neil Lewis was very helpful as he caused me to think of my particular skills and how I should sell them. Although I have no intention of being a freelance artist once I finish my degree, I would definitely like to work in creative industry in some sort of field, and this talk inspired me to start focusing on how I can sell myself (or ‘whore myself out‘ as a curator once told me at an exhibition seminar) to future employers.
Once Neil Lewis had motivated the room, we were split into specialisms where we were given a more intimate talk by Liverpool artist, Alex Corina. He was then successful in destroying anyone’s ambitions of becoming a successful freelance fine artist and thus confirming my desire to steer away from that corridor of self employment.
Coming out of this conference, I have a new outlook on my future, and it has influenced me to concentrate on my skills as a photographer and digital artist. This week I have plans to contact some people in the industry and ask for advice and knowledge of possible career options.
No comments:
Post a Comment