Tuesday, 25 January 2011

The Bluecoat: Underwater Exhibition

The Bluecoats new exhibition features works from well known artists of the decade who have followed the theme of ‘Underwater’. It is a varied show that contains, film, sculpture, sound installation, drawing, and photography.

The piece that captivated me for the longest was Bill Viola’s 8.5 min, HD Video, Becoming Light (2005). This film featured a male and female couple submerged underwater, struggling to stay alive. “…two lovers intertwine as they slowly descend into dark waters, exhaling their last breath together.” (www.thebluecoat.org.uk).
The stunning, slow motion cinematography allows the viewer to study the slick, floating movements of the bodies as they float in the suspension of water, intimately creating visual poetry.  



I also found myself studying the untitled photographs by Daniel Gustav Cramer. These series of images are underwater landscapes, of which I assume were recorded by using long exposure to capture all the natural lighting from the surface above. I have seen this technique before during an exhibition at the Wolstenholme gallery where a female artist had used the same method to capture underwater portraits of her subjects using the natural lighting from the moon, which resulted in an amazing effect.
I also studied the way these were presented. Black frames with the picture leading all the way out to the edges, against white walls. I will refer to this when thinking of presentational ideas for my own project.

No comments:

Post a Comment