Monday, 22 November 2010

Seel Street

I was rather apprehensive about attending this exhibition because I’m not really the biggest fan of sound or video art, due to the fact, 9 times out of 10, I’ve been disappointed with the examples I’ve seen in the past (although a few videos have started to change my mind over the past couple of weeks!). However, as soon as I entered, I was faced with an array of interesting, new approaches to this way of working, including surrealist video installations by Mayke Nas & Wouter Snoei, shot in HD and included audience interaction. A kinetic, sculptural, sound installation which explores the science of sound by Ray Lee. Also Phil Jeck’s Pool of Voices where he has salvaged old records and turntables and used them as instruments in their own right.

But I became so attached to one particular video, I watched it twice in a row, and had to be kicked out because of closing time. This was Jani Ruscica’s Beatbox. I was drawn to it due to the strong urbanisation references that are hugely apparent in my own work, and the quality of the production itself. It begins with a monologue from a young city girl who speaks passionately about the city and her culture, then adapts into images and sounds made by beat boxers to represent the sounds that surround them. The significance of the beat boxers is to emphasise the urban cultural references and perhaps produce a sub-text of the idea that most things in the city are produced by man, and now even the sounds are challenged by the dominating man.
This piece is actually a second part of two films contrasting the differences between urban and rural settings. This concept is almost identical to the work I’m exploring at the moment, and it has inspired me by challenging my ‘narrow-minded’ research and way of working. I think the way Ruscacia explores the sounds of the two contrasting areas unwraps a whole new direction for my exploration of ideas to follow.

http://www.bonnierskonsthall.se/upload/Livsformer/ruscica_dl.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment